Virginia-Highland is one of 242 officially recognized neighborhoods of Atlanta, Georgia.
Virginia-Highland — Virginia-Highland and surrounding neighborhoods
- City of Atlanta, (404) 330-6000, website atlanta.ga.gov
- Mayor: Hon. Mayor Kasim Reed phone: (404) 330-6100; Mayor’s Office of Constituent Services: (404) 330-6023
- The city is divided into 25 neighborhood planning units (NPUs). Virginia-Highland is in NPU “F”, together with Morningside/Lenox Park, Piedmont Heights, Lindridge/Martin Manor, and Armour Circle. (What is an NPU?) See also Neighborhoods (Surrounding) below
- See also City Council below
County: Virginia-Highland is almost entirely in Fulton County, county information at www.co.fulton.ga.us. Unincorporated DeKalb County borders part of Virginia-Highland on the east. DeKalb government information: (404) 371-2000, www.co.dekalb.ga.us
A TO Z OF GOVERNMENT SERVICES AND UTILITIES
Fulton County Animal Services (404) 613-0358 www.bhvf.org (operated by Barking Hound Village Foundation) strays, suspected rabies, spay/neuter program, adoptions, etc.
Cable and subscription TV
Atlanta City Council – main phone: (404) 330-6030, citycouncil.atlantaga.gov
- President of Council – Ceasar Mitchell email@example.com
- District 6 Councilman – Alex Wan www.atlantadistrict6.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, (404) 330-6049
- District 6 Staff: Sheila Parrott: email@example.com
- District / NPU / Neighborhood maps website – click on the large #6 to view the District 6 map
- Post 1 at large – Michael Julian Bond – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Post 2 at large – Aaron Watson – email@example.com
- Post 3 at large – H. Lamar Willis – firstname.lastname@example.org
- City Code website
- Council Committee and Full Council Meeting Agendas website
In addition to VHCA’s own Safety Team newsletters:
- Atlanta Crime Tracker (data is several months old)
Discussion board (ListServ)
See “Pets (lost)”, below
Electronics registration program (anti-theft)
You can register your home electronics with the Fulton County D.A.’s office for a safe record in case of theft or loss. Details are at www.fultonda.org You can access the registration form by clicking on “Download the Electronics Registration Form” box. This is a good way to force you to write down serial, model numbers, etc.
- Atlanta Fire Department (call 911 for emergency)
- Headquarters: 226 Peachtree Street, Atlanta, GA 30306 Information: (404) 546-7000
- Fire Chief Kelvin J. Cochran, email@example.com
- Station 19 – 1063 N. Highland Avenue (404) 853-3413 http://www.vhfirecompany.com/
Gas (natural gas)
Multiple companies compete from which to choose
Photograph graffiti and report it by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org, remembering to include the location and date. See also our extensive Graffiti Removal A-B-C’s.
Atlanta Fulton Library, Ponce de Leon Branch, 980 Ponce de Leon Ave.
- Morningside-Lenox Park Association, mlpa.org
- Lindridge/Martin Manor Neighborhood Association, lmmna.org
- Piedmont Heights Civic Association, piedmontheights.org
- Midtown Neighbors’ Association, midtownatlanta.org
- Old Fourth Ward:
- Sweet Auburn (S of Freedom Pkwy, W of Boulevard): 4th and S.A.N.D.
- Poncey-Highland Neighborhood Association, ponceyhighland.com
- Inman Park Neighborhood Association, inmanpark.org
- Candler Park Neighborhood Association, candlerpark.org
- Druid Hills Civic Association, druidhills.org
Be sure to sign up for email updates from VHCA and also join the neighborhood watch, which provides separate email updates on safety. Other local news sources include Virginia-Highland/Druid Hills Patch, part of the metro- and nationwide network of Patch news sites, and Virginia-Highland Connect, a local blog.
ParkAtlanta – Main phone: (866) 219-8702, www.parkatlanta.org; Report a broken meter (888) 266-1360
- 233 Peachtree Street, Suites 1600/1700 (404) 546-6788
- Commissioner George Dusenbury (404) 546-6788 email@example.com
- Make a park reservation (404) 546-6757 (ball fields, pavilions, large gatherings, weddings, etc.)
- Park maintenance requests including graffiti and needed repairs, street tree inspection and trimming requests, and downed trees (404) 546-6813. Note: call 911 for trees down in the street.
- Recreation including aquatic and tennis centers (404) 546-7985.
There is an easy way to i.d. found dogs if they have a collar tag. Go to http://www.petdata.com/cs/ful/. Follow the instructions for entering the tag # and it will bring up the owner’s name and phone number.
Multiple companies compete from which to choose
Planning and community development
55 Trinity Ave. (City Hall) (404) 330-6070 website
- Commissioner James E. Shelby (404) 330-6037
- Building Permits (404) 330-6150
- Planning including Beltline, Zoning, NPUs, Urban Design Commission, etc. (404) 330-6145
- Code Compliance including code complaint process (404) 330-6190,
- Arborist Division (trees on private property) (404) 330-6150
- Don Rosenthal, Director (404) 330-6152
- David Tachon (arborist for Northeast Atlanta) 404-330-6077
Atlanta Police Department (call 911 for emergency)
- Headquarters: 226 Peachtree Street, Atlanta, GA 30306 (404) 614-6544
- website www.atlantapd.org
- Chief George N. Turner – phone: (404) 546-6900
- Zone 6 Map and Crime Statistics website
- Major Keith Meadows, Commander Zone 6 – 2025 Hosea L. Williams Dr. S.E. (404) 371-5002
- Crime Stopper Tips: (404) 577-TIPS (8477), Text tip to CRIMES (274637) or submit tip online at www.crimestoppersatlanta.org
- Report suspicious persons and situations, call 911
Georgia Power – power outages (888) 891-0938 and streetlight problems (888) 660-5890. Report online.
Public Works Customer Service (404) 330-6333 or by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Commissioner Richard Mendoza: Mendoza@atlantaga.gov
- Trash Collection, Yard Waste & Recycling (includes graffiti on public places, sidewalks & bridges, dead animal removal and large item pick-up) (404) 330-6236
- Transportation (404) 330-6501
- Report a pothole, other roadway problem, problem with a sign, or malfunctioning traffic light (404) 330-6333 after hours (404) 658-7862 or by sending an e-mail to email@example.com
FBAC (Fight Back Against Crime) operates patrols in Virginia-Highland. A $25/mo. membership helps make the patrols possible, benefiting the community. In addition, members receive added benefits such as a direct line to the patrol officers and checks on their property while out-of-town.
For sewer issues call (404) 954-6340.
For a definition of illegal street signage go to - Keep Atlanta Beautiful. To make a report of such illegal signage – photograph the sign and send to Gayla Dodson in Public Works enforcement at firstname.lastname@example.org and copy Octavia Swainson at email@example.com and Patricia Sanders at firstname.lastname@example.org. Put “illegal sign” in the subject line and in the body of the e-mail state the date the picture was taken, the street number address nearest to the sign or the intersecting streets if at a corner, along with any company contact information on the sign (in case your picture is not clear or readable) and the date you have taken down the offending sign.
Emergency Safety Profile system that lets the 911 operators know about your household in advance of an emergency. Go to Smart 911 for details and to enroll your family.
Storm Drains (blocked)
If you notice a blocked storm drain, please report to Linda Crossland at 404.624.0751 or by email at email@example.com.
Street lights (non-working)
To report a non-working street light on a wooden pole, call Georgia Power at 1-888-891-0938 or report it online using this form. Problems with streetlights on metal poles are reported to the City of Atlanta, Public Works at either 404-330-6333 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. Make sure you identify the streetlight by the street number behind the pole or the intersecting streets if on a corner. These lights are repaired during daylight hours when they are turned off.
see Weather alerts below
City of Atlanta Traffic Court “Special Hotline” — 404.569.5612. If you experience any difficulties when calling the Interactive Voice Response system, or IRV, when you receive a traffic ticket, you can call the “Special Hotline” number. This will connect you with a voicemail box where you can leave a message. This number is for use only when you have experienced difficulties using the IRV.
Traffic Lights (non-working)
Contact Atlanta Traffic Control Center (John Becker) at 404-658-7863.
Trash cans (leaving them out after they’re collected)
The rules are trash and recycle bins must be removed by 7pm the day of collection and placed in the following areas (measured from the home’s side of the sidewalk):
- 35 feet if collected from the front
- 15 feet if collected from a rear street
- 17.5 feet if collected from a side street if your house is at a corner
Mr. D. Raikes at City Hall (email@example.com) can provide information if neighbors are repeat violators and do not respond to your friendly request.
Atlanta is the “City in a Forest” and the City of Atlanta’s policy is “there shall be no net loss of trees”. See City of Atlanta, Dept. of Planning, Arborist Division. Renovation or construction? See the info on trees under the “Planning” section of this site.
Watershed Management (404) 330-6081 www.atlantawatershed.org
- Commisioner Jo Ann Macrina, PE
- Customer Service (404) 658-6500
- Drinking Water Emergency (404) 658-7220
- Clean Water Atlanta (404) 529-9211 www.atlantawatershed.org/cwa/
- Report Storm Water Flooding Problem (404) 624-0751
- Wastewater Treatment & Collections (sewer backups and metal plates) (404) 954-6340
To report a water leak: Water Leaks – (404) 546-5325 or firstname.lastname@example.org, copied to email@example.com. For Sewer Issues, phone (404) 954-6340. For general water issues, visit www.atlantawatershed.org. For issues specifically relating to the ongoing drought conditions, visit www.atlantawatershed.org/drought.
Atlanta does not have a tornado siren warning system.
- Weather radios are widely available – get one that you can put in a code for what county you are interested in, so you don’t get woken up for every warning in north Georgia.
- Fulton County has the Code Red Emergency Notification System – Sign up here and you will get a call on any phone number you designate.