FAQ — Planning

All answers provided below are intended to be helpful.  However they do not represent an official position, and are not the final word on anything.  Please take them in that spirit.

Q. Where can I find forms about Arborists, Building Permits, Inspection and Zoning for the city of Atlanta?


Q. How Do I FIND OUT What my property is ZONED?

A majority of properties in Virginia-Highland are zoned either R-4 (single family home) or RG-2 (low density multifamily).  You can find out exactly how your property is zoned by visiting the site found here.  Large PDF maps can be found here (northern Half) and here (southern Half).

Q. Where can I find the rules for each zoning designation?

The rules for each zoning type can be found on in the city’s ordinance code.  Specifically Part III, Section 16.  From here you can look up the specific rules governing your property by how it is zoned.  This is where you will find things like minimum yard specifications (setbacks etc.), maximum heights, parking spot requirements, floor area ratios and lot coverage maximums.

Q. How can I learn more about the process before getting started on my own project?

Please come to a meeting of the VHCA Planning Meeting or VHCA Board Meeting! At these meetings you can hear discussion as other applicants go through the process and ask questions.  Meeting dates and locations are on the VHCA calendar (look to the right of this page), usually the first week of the month.

Q. Once I turn in a permit application what are the next steps?

  1. Application transfer. Your application is sent to the Neighborhood Planning Unit (NPU).  The NPU for Virginia-Highland is F.  This happens by hard copy and can take a while.  NPU-F sends your application to the local neighborhood civic association’s planning committee.  For Virginia-Highland this is the Virginia-Highland Civic Association (VHCA) and their planning committee.
  2. Site Visit.  The VHCA planning committee schedules a time to visit the applicant site.
  3. VHCA Planning Committee meeting.  The applicant presents their case and the committee makes a recommendation.
  4. VHCA Board Meeting.  The applicant presents their case, the planning committee gives recommendation and explanation, public is given time to comment.  VHCA board makes a recommendation.
  5. NPU-F.
  6. BZA.

Q. Are there templates for the neighbor notification and Lot coverage?