The 4/19 fire at 845 PDL Terrace served as an example of what a great neighborhood we have, in that caring neighbors rallied to locate and contact the newly-wed residents on their honeymoon in Bermuda, boarded up and secured the house afterwards, arranged temporary housing at the Gaslight Inn on St. Charles Avenue and watched the house til the owners returned. Quick response from our AFR Station # 19 minimized the structural damage.
This tragedy also served to emphasize the importance of getting to know your neighbors and to having a contact directory for your street. Most all of our VaHi streets now have a Safety Team Street Captain and many now have such directories – but if you are reading this and are not aware of who your Street Captain is or if your street doesn’t have a lead person, contact me at email@example.com so I can put you in touch with your street person or find a person to be the lead contact person. Good neighbors are our first line of defense against the perils that can confront us at any time.
– A VaHi Summerfest you won’t want to miss, by Nan Hunter
– Block watch, a success story, by Joyce Gross
– Letter to the editor from Anne Taylor Hendry in defense of services for the homeless on Ponce
– Ponce Task Force survey results
– Grady students speak out – poems and essays by Grady 9th and 10th graders
– Rep Rap by Fulton County commissioner Nancy Boxill: demolishing the Highland library, settling the Presidential Parkway, property reappraisal
– John Howell Park plans approved
– Who says it’s a piece of junk? Many of our contemporary icons are threatened. By Steve Jagger
– Neighbor profile: The VOICE staff. Jett and Beth Marks, Kala Marks, Kathy Couch, Nan Hunter, Sarah Tomaka, Jeni and Rob Evans, Mickey Lawson, Terry Tuley
– Helpful hints for the Highland homeowner: fire safety, by Virginia Temple
– First annual VHCA/Summerfest “Sweat” 5K Run and Family Run – 1 mile
– Recycling: why not add your stuff to the curbside pick-up brigade?, by Nan Hunter
– Liquor store at Ponce and Barnett closes
– Host a student from France! By Carol Sleeth