The 2014 Annual General Meeting of the Virginia-Highland Civic Association was held Thursday September 18 at the Inman Middle School cafeteria. Approximately 75 residents were in attendance.
The meeting opened with a performance by the Music@SPARK Advanced Chorus under the direction of Ms. Brianne Turgeon. The chorus performed several songs that were warmly received by those in attendance. This is the third year in a row the annual meeting has opened with a performance by the SPARK Advanced Chorus and VHCA very much appreciates their participation.
The following city officials were recognized and made comments at the meeting:
- Atlanta City Council District 6 Representative Alex Wan was recognized for his thoughtful and steadfast support of the Virginia-Highland Master Plan.
- Lawrence Jeter, with the City of Atlanta’s Department of Public Works, was recognized for exemplary and outstanding public service to the citizens of Atlanta and Virginia-Highland. Jeter was VHCA Board Member Peggy Berg’s primary city contact with respect to the sidewalk repairs made in Virginia-Highland over the past two years.
Cory Rayburn, with the City of Atlanta’s Department of Stormwater Management, was recognized for exemplary and outstanding service to the citizens of Atlanta and Virginia-Highland for his work in creating and implementing the city’s stormwater ordinance.
Other elected officials in attendance:
- Andre Dickens, Atlanta City Council, Post 3 at Large
- Mary Norwood, Atlanta City Council, Post 2 at Large
Election of Officers
The VHCA Nominating Committee formally introduced the following candidates for seats on the 2014-15 VHCA Board of Directors. All candidates were confirmed in the election that followed and will serve for the upcoming board year.
- John Becker (incumbent)
- Peggy Berg (incumbent)
- David Brandenberger (incumbent)
- Lola Carlisle (incumbent)
- Paige Hewell (incumbent)
- Jenifer Keenan (incumbent)
- Robin Ragland (new board member)
- Angelika Hedlund Taylor (new board member)
- Jack White (incumbent)
- Lauren Wilkes Fralick (incumbent)
- Jess Windham (incumbent)
Retiring board member Genny Ferrero was recognized and thanked for her three years of service.
Grants and Community Gifts Awarded
The VHCA announced the awarding of the following charitable grants for 2013. A total of $21,000 in grants and community gifts was awarded.
- Grady High PTA: $2,000
- Grady High College and Career Connection: $1,000
- Inman Middle School PTA: $3,000
- Springdale Park Elementary School PTO: $3,000
- Atlanta Bicycle Coalition: $1,400
- Open Door Community: $1,000
- Church of Our Saviour: $750
- Virginia-Highland Church: $750
- Ponce de Leon Public Library: $3,000
- PEDS: $500
- Trees Atlanta: $3,800
- Stephanie Coffin: $500
Click here to view a video of the meeting in its entirety.