Crime reports from APD
The following report is gleaned from our APD Zone 6 crime stats – with emphasis on our VaHi Beat # 603, but with news from all around the whole zone as applicable to us. These stats are from weeks 28 and 29 of 2009, and are not meant to scare anyone, but rather to let you know what happens around us everyday and to allow you to adjust your daily lifestyle habits to avoid being victimized where possible.
- Aggravated Assault – Two males got into a fight at the Open Door at 910 PDL Avenue over owed money, with the suspect threatening to stab the other with a butter knife and to break his neck – the suspect fled on foot before the officer’s arrival.
- Auto Theft – Vehicles were stolen from Frederica Street, PDL Place, and an unsuccessful attempt in the parking lot of the Virginia Highland apartments on Virginia Avenue.
- Commercial Burglary – On 7/4 the front glass door was broken and 3 racks of clothing were taken from the Meringue clothing store on North Highland Avenue. Storage units were broken into at such businesses on Cheshire Bridge Road, Kanuga Street, and Monroe Drive.
- Residential Burglary – An apartment at the Virginia Highland complex on Virginia Avenue was entered via a damaged front door lock. All around Zone 6 in this time period 9 residences were entered thru kicked-in doors.
- Larceny From Auto – Vehicles were entered on Bellevue Drive, Briarcliff Place (2), Greenwood Avenue (3), Los Angeles Avenue (2), North Highland Avenue (7), PDL Place, St. Augustine Place, St. Charles Avenue, Vance Avenue (2), Arlington Place, Glen Arden Way, PDL Avenue, Virginia Avenue (3) and Virginia Circle. Of these 27 separate incidents in just two weeks, 14 victims were from outside VaHi, and 13 were local residents. Please warn your neighbors and visitors alike about the dangers of leaving visible items in cars. Remember the Clean Car Campaign – your belongings are their loot!!! Yes, I know that sometimes clean cars are rifled through too, but most break-ins are in response to visible items left out for stealing. All around Zone 6 in this time period twenty-one GPS systems were taken, three more hand guns were added to the arsenal on the streets, two in-dash radios were ripped out, and three license plates/stickers were taken off. Keep looking behind your car to make sure you still have a plate, and if not, report it immediately – your stolen plate may be used on another car for other criminal activity.
- Larceny Other – A purse was taken from the back of a chair at the MJQ Club on PDL Avenue, and of course. the credit cards were used quickly. Please warn ladies whom you spot in restaurants, clubs who hang their purse on the back of their chair. Our PDL Avenue Kroger and Publix stores caught 5 shoplifters, and I always wonder how many they do not catch, including the folks I see eating produce off the counter. I always secretly hope these folks will get sick from this unwashed merchandise.
- Pedestrian Robbery – At 9 on a Sunday morning on PDL Avenue, a wheelchair bound male had a bag taken from the arm of his chair containing $28 in cash by two b/m who fled on foot. On Somerset Terrace at 12:15 a.m. a female resident, walking up her driveway, was approached by a homeless h/m whom she initially hit with her wine glass, but he knocked her down and took her cell phone. Yes, he did sustain injuries from the wine glass, and was taken to Grady where the victim identified him. Your guess is as good as mine as to whether the assailant had insurance to pay for his Grady treatment.
Stay alert and stay safe!!