By Robin Ragland
We were a little apprehensive about the weather forecast after last year’s perfect weekend, but we had a great crowd who came out and toured this year’s eight beautiful homes, and tasty food . Approximately 250 volunteers pitched in help make it the most successful Tour to date, with approximately $80,000 in gross proceeds. The Tour’s popularity has grown such that it has raised over $300,000 for the neighborhood over the last five years.
Of course, when you have a successful effort like this, there are a great number people who need to be thanked. First, the homeowners for being hosts and hostesses to us – what’s a home tour without homes? But also SPARK, and Grady for providing holiday music during the event. Then we have our advertising and restaurant sponsors who continue to be so generous each year. Many thanks as well to all who volunteered throughout the weekend and to the House Captains who managed the volunteers in each home.
The Tour of Homes committee works throughout the year in order to organize the Tour. I would like to thank them for all their efforts.
- Home Selection: Angelika Taylor, Mandi Robertson, Mary Hallenberg, Bill Bell, Pam Bullock, and Peter Harrell
- Communications: Stephen Cohen, Andy Monfalcone, Mande Harris and Kitsy Rose PR
- Restaurants: JoAnn Zyla, Alison Hutton, Kara Stringer, and Jenifer Keenan
- Volunteers: Eleanor Barrineau, Karen Murphree
- Graphic Design: Lori Z Joslyn
- Website: Centner Consulting
- Tour Operations: Sean Davey, Cherry Frederick, Holle Gilbert and Amanda Lawthorne
- Signage and Flocking: Holle Gilbert, Mande Harris, Patti Hinkle, and Angelika Taylor
- Sponsorship: Jenifer Keenan and Erica Berg Brennan
Our history tour was a big hit last year, so we repeated it, on a larger scale this year. Many thanks to Lola Carlisle for creating our new tour route and brochure, and to Kari Hobson-Pape, Catherine Lewis, Jess Windham Jack White, and Lola for contributing as docents for the tours. Our trolley shuttles were a throwback to the earlier 9 mile trolleys days, and were a great upgrade this year.
Looking ahead to the 2017 Tour of Homes
If you really enjoyed the Tour this year, or would like to be part of an effort that raises needed funding for our neighborhood, you may want to note that our 23rd Tour will be on December 1-2, 2017. We’d love to have you join our Tour of Homes team! Contact Robin Ragland at email@example.com if you have an interest.
Robin Ragland is a VHCA Board Member and Chair of the Tour of Homes Committee.
Photos by Robin Ragland